moroccan lamb tagine
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter 3 pounds lamb stew meat, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup THE GRACIOUS GOURMET MOROCCAN RATATOUILLE
- pinch of stem saffron
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 7 ounces dried apricots
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- hot, cooked rice or couscous
- ¼ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter in 6 – 8 quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add half of lamb; brown well. Remove lamb with slotted spoon; reserve. Add another 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter to saucepan; brown remaining lamb. Add reserved lamb, water, THE GRACIOUS GOURMET MOROCCAN RATATOUILLE and saffron; season generously with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and cook ½ hour. Stir in sliced onion. Continue to cook about an hour, or until meat is tender.
- Remove lid, increase heat to medium, stir in cinnamon and cook, stirring frequently, until sauce is reduced by half.
- Taste and season with more salt and pepper, if desired. Stir in dried apricots and remaining 1 tablespoon butter; heat through.
- Serve over hot cooked rice; sprinkle each serving with toasted almonds. (For best flavor, make a day ahead and refrigerate. Reheat and serve.)
Makes 6 servings